Warning to Shareholders
Share fraud includes scams where investors are called out of the blue and offered shares that often turn out to be worthless or non-existent, or an inflated price for shares they own. These calls come from fraudsters operating in ‘boiler rooms’ that are mostly based abroad.
While high profits are promised, those who buy or sell shares in this way usually lose their money.
If you think you may have been a victim of share fraud, place refer to our advice below.
If you are offered unsolicited investment advice, discounted shares, a premium price for shares you own, or free company or research reports, you should take these steps before handing over any money:
- Get the name of the person and organisation contacting you.
- Check the Financial Services Register at www.fca.org.uk to ensure they are authorised.
- Use the details on the FCA Register to contact the firm.
- Call the FCA Consumer Helpline on 0800 111 6768 if there are no contact details on the Register or you are told they are out of date.
- Search the FCA list of unauthorised firms and individuals to avoid doing business with at www.fca.org.uk/consumers/scams.
If you use an unauthorised firm to buy or sell shares or other investments, you will not have access to the Financial Ombudsman Service or Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) if things go wrong.
REMEMBER: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
Report a scam
If you are approached about a share scam you should tell the FCA using the share fraud reporting form at www.fca.org.uk/consumers/scams/investment-scams/share-fraud-and-boiler-room-scams/reporting-form, where you can find out about the latest investment scams. You can also call the Consumer Helpline on 0800 111 6768.
If you have already paid money to share fraudsters you should contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
You may also wish to inform our Registrar’s Compliance Department:
Telephone: 0871 664 0300
(Calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras)
Lines are open from 9.00 am to 5.30 pm Monday to Friday, excluding UK public holidays.
Details of any share dealing facilities that Close Brothers Group plc endorses will be included in company mailings or on this website.