To help address the social, economic and environmental challenges facing our business, employees, and clients, now and into the future.
Making a positive impact as a business everyday
Acknowledging our responsibility and making it a part of our DNA broadens our perspective and encourages us to look at how we operate as a businesses, the decisions we take, and the support and advise we give our customers and clients. And in doing so, I think we can and will make a greater difference and a positive impact as a businesses everyday.
Group Chief Executive
How will we achieve this?
- Promoting an inclusive culture in everything we do, and supporting new ways of working and social mobility
- Reducing our environmental impact and responding to the threats and opportunities of climate change
- Promoting financial inclusion, helping borrowers that might be overlooked and enabling savers and investors to access financial markets and advice to plan for their future
- Supporting our customers, clients and partners in the transition towards more sustainable practices
Our commitment to:
- We are committed to creating an inclusive environment where all colleagues can thrive
- Ensuring all colleagues feel proud to work for us
- Supporting internal mobility and empowering colleagues with training and development
- Maintaining or improving customer satisfaction scores across our businesses
- We remain committed to our customer principles that guide our high-quality customer experience and long-term relationships
- Improving our digital capabilities, offering new channels and protecting data
- Engaging with our largest suppliers regularly
- Maintaining CIPS ethical procurement accreditation
- Supporting the ambition of the Paris Agreement of net zero by 2050
- Targeting becoming operationally net zero by 2030 through our scope 1 and 2 emissions
- Working to gain a deeper understanding of our indirect scope 3 emissions to help shape our own transition roadmap towards lower emissions
- Working towards alignment with the recommendations of the Taskforce for Climate Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD)
- Understanding the needs of SMEs and helping them to achieve their ambitions
- Continuing the Close Brothers SME Apprentice Programme
- Supporting social mobility and creating equal opportunities for all
- Continuing our Matched Giving Scheme, matching 50% of funds donated by our employees
Acting responsibly and sustainably is not a new concept for our business.
It’s always been our business.
A few of our achievements to date
Renewable energy finance
Our SME Apprentice Programme
Our sustainable funds
A world first at our container site in South Yorkshire
Did you know that each year 40 million pints of beer are thrown away each due to poor sterilisation? At our Brewery Rentals container site in Thurnscoe in South Yorkshire we maintain and clean 3.5 million containers each year.
To help reduce the environmental impact of this facility, we re-engineered our operations to use ultra high pressure water jetting to clean and sanitise the kegs and casks, instead of traditional chemicals and heat. A world first in this industry, which has the added benefit of being more efficient as well as being more environmentally friendly.